Technology is now so intertwined with our daily lives and so ubiquitous in our society, it’s hard to believe that just eight years ago the first iPhone was released or that just 18 years ago the first social media site launched. It wasn’t until around 1995 that the word “Internet” even appeared on TV, according to The Atlantic.
Take a look back at the technology trends from years ago that today would have the average user shaking in their boots in FOMO.
If you dare, take a look back at 10 tech tools of terror:
- VHS: You must rewind this VHS tape every time you watch it. Let the game begin.
- Cassettes: No one can hear you scream over squealing cassette tapes.
- Pagers: Heeeere’s a new page, but you have no way to reply.
- Floppy Disks: You have limited storage space for files on this floppy disk. Which will survive and what will be left of them?
- Dial-up Internet: Be afraid…be very afraid of dial-up internet.
- Chat Rooms: “I am your number one fan,” said the stranger in the chat room.
- Email Subscriptions: Whatever you do, don’t fall asleep. That email account isn’t free.
- CDs and DVDs: Do you like scary movies? Too bad, they’re all scratched.
- Basic Cellphones: We all go a little mad sometimes, without a touch screen and data plan.
- 8-Bit Computers: If this one doesn’t scare you, you’re already dead!
Bury your biggest technology fears. The future is here. Keep up with the future of business collaboration on the PGi blog and become a Flipboard subscriber today.